Saturday, March 16, 2013

FLASHBACK: Penland spring weaving concentration

One year ago, I was starting the spring weaving concentration at Penland School of Crafts in Penland, North Carolina. Beth Johnson taught the class called Weaving Traditions.

Our first project was for the class to weave enough napkins for one meal service in the Pines dining hall. We could weave any type of napkin we liked. I designed a simple twill napkin with sections of alternating green and white and solid stripes. 

Beth taught us her nifty Scottish warp winding technique, which I used for winding this warp. For someone who used to require the stars to be aligned in order to even contemplate winding a warp, this method was a revelation to me.  I started winding my warp in the late afternoon, worked my work-study shift at dinnertime and then came back and finished winding the warp in the evening. Beth also showed us how to coil our sections of warp into what I liked to call "snakes", ready to be wound onto the loom.


The third and final section of warp on the warping board
My loom with two coiled "snakes" of warp


The warp, partially threaded



In the middle of threading the loom, the view from the warp beam with the raddle still in place.

I decided to weave the width of one napkin, so my warp turned out to be about 17 yards long. Before this, I had never wound a warp that long, ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment